Skip to main content

Get a Life!


In years past as the days of the year dwindled down, I spent time in prayer and meditation asking God what He wanted to show me going into the next year.  Usually He answered my prayers by laying a specific verse on my heart.  That verse served as my anthem going into the next phase of life.  I learned from it and grew from it, and because of this tradition have become more deeply rooted in the things of Christ.  

This year in all of the busy-ness of life, I forgot my yearly ritual.  Thankfully my Heavenly Father did not.  As I laid in bed a couple of nights before New Year's trying to fall asleep, God whispered two verses to my heart.  I immediately knew what they were for and why they'd been given to me.  

The first is found in John 10:10.  It says, 

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

God did not send His one and only Son into the world so that we could merely exist.  He sent Jesus so that we may have life and live it to the full!  

Considering how this verse applies to me personally, I was immediately convicted about how I spend my time.  How we spend our time is ultimately how we spend our life.  I want to spend my life in a bigger and better way than napping, surfing Facebook and the internet, and watching television.  

I don't want to be a spectator.  I want to be a participant.  I don't want to just exist.  I want to make a lasting difference on the world.

My routine is generally the same:  Get up, go to work, go home, watch tv while playing online, and go to bed.  Sure in the middle of all of that I brush my teeth, eat, write a blog, take random photos, but what of that matters?  What of that has eternal value?  What of that dictates who I am?  The more I've chewed on this truth, the more I have come to realization that I am wasting a lot of my time and therefore am also wasting a lot of my life.  


The second verse that God laid on my heart is from Colossians 3:23 and 24.  It says,

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

  
I believe that these two verses tie in well together.  If you are spending your time/life doing all that you do as unto the Lord, then nothing you do will ever be in vain. 

Did you get that?  Did you let it sink in?  Let me say it again:

If you are spending your time/life doing all that you do as unto the Lord, then nothing you do will ever be in vain. 

The most mundane tasks can become a ministry when we do it with the right attitude and a heart for God.  Whether it is sitting at my desk waiting for the next phone call or next computer entry, washing dishes and laundry, or feeding the dogs, my attitude determines its worth.  And only I can determine my attitude.

Another way to look at it is by considering the choices.  In Elizabeth George's book, "A Woman After God's Own Heart" she makes the distinction between the choices we make as being good, better, or best.  (Not that one way we'd choose to spend time is necessarily bad, but rather is it the best use of our time.)  For instance, I can wait during Dacey's weekly dance lessons and pass time playing Bejeweled Blitz on my phone or I can wait during Dacey's weekly dance lessons and read the Word of God from my phone thanks to today's technological advances!  Not that playing games is bad, but what is it growing in me?  What changes is it making in my life?  Is it just a "waste of time"?  Then I choose the best option - Bible reading - and sow into my life while drawing closer to God.  Just like everything else in life, it comes down to the choices we make.  





I refuse to let the devil steal any more of my time - any more of my life - by wasting it on things that do not matter.  If it isn't investing in my family, others, or me, it needs to be gone.  

There are many other things God is telling me to sweep up and get rid of.  I'll be sharing that along the way too.  For now, it is almost time for Dacey's weekly dance class or as I prefer to think of it now - two hours for reading and reflection.  

Comments

  1. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.HD Wallpapers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …