Skip to main content

The Honeymoon Suite

This past Christmas my daughter, Dacey, requested a bedroom make-over as her gift.  Not ones to disappoint, my husband and I took extreme measures to bling her room out to the standards of a teenage girl.  The transformation was amazing and left our three sons wanting a retreat of their own.



Around March it was their turn.  Over two thousand glow in the dark stars later, their bedroom reeks of cosmic coolness.

Having satisfied the children's requests for the most awesome bedrooms ever, Tommy and I decided it was time to gift ourselves with an equally dramatic make-over.

Our bedroom had last been painted about five years ago when it belonged to my three sons.  We had done a race car theme in their room at that time and the walls and trim were painted with hues of blues and bright orange.  We felt we deserved a peaceful, yet romantic, room where we too could hide from the world and rest.  The end result surpassed our expectations.


Working on a strict budget, we wanted a room that was peaceful yet elegant, tranquil but romantic.  I knew a canopy was a must and purchased a curtain rod and sheer scarf at Wal-Mart.  It perfected the look I'd hoped for at a reasonable price.

For the walls, we chose Robin Egg Blue in semi-gloss by Glidden to add a feeling of serenity to the room.  We painted the trim in semi-gloss white, and painted the furniture and other features using Onyx black semi-gloss from Glidden.  We spray painted the metal touches on the furniture using metalic silver to complete the look.

The bedding set we found at one of my favorite stores, Ross Dress for Less.  It was an eleven piece set and cost less than half of the original retail price.

We placed the bed beneath a mantle that use to house a fireplace that no longer exists.  A $5 mirror spray painted to match the silver on the furniture and a candelabra setting atop the mantle lend to the romantic essence the room portrays.

Using my children's hands to form the word love, I printed and framed each letter and hung individually on the mantle to separate the bed from the wall.  It looks beautiful and really adds a personal touch to the room.

Connor, Jaden, Isaac, and Dacey
Directly across from the bed, we chose to set up our television on top of a dresser.  A door frame remains from an early remodel of our home.  To set it off we painted the wall white and trim black and decided to hang a mirror so that it seemed to serve a purpose.  Upon completing it we decided to balance the room, we'd need a mirror on each side.  (We now plan to add a second door frame solely for decorative purposes.)


The far side of my room serves as a book nook/office for our homeschool family.  Behind the loveseat sits two sets of book shelves, two desks, and computers.  The sheers separating the room and over the windows were purchased on clearance for $2 each.  Their presence gives softness and elegance to the area.



For additional decoration, we used silver rocks, candles, and pretty glassware.  All purchased at the dollar store, these small additions cost less than $15 and gave a big bang to the room.

Nightstand decorated with lamp and flowers we already had were spray painted silver to match room.

An antique perfume bottle filled with gardenia scented oil purchased for $1 at thrift store.

Romantic fountain reads, "Let Love Flow".

Candle setting created using silver stones and vase.

This one included potpourri. 
Wine glass for $1 from dollar store filled with potpourri and silver rocks.

"This is our happily ever after."


The Honeymoon Suite
I feel like a princess in this amazing room that we will enjoy for many years to come.

Comments

  1. Love it... So beautiful!!!

    Shine 4 Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I especially love the "LOVE" framed art. What a great idea!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very, very lovely!!! Every detail thought of, and everything has a perfect place!! Can I hire you to do my house? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's overwhelming! I loved your every word and very picture. It's really dream place for me. I would love to have same look for my place and I think my white bedroom furniture will work here very well. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page. nearest airport to Munnar Plan a trip to Munnar to enjoy the scene of vast swaths of tea bushes cling to the hills like a soft emerald carpet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …