Skip to main content

Made to Crave - Chapter One Reflections

I'm participating in Melissa Taylor's online Bible study, "Made to Crave."  I've decided to keep track of my weight loss (down 6.5 pounds in 8 days!) and Bible study progress here since this blog is intended to be my personal journal anyway.

Here are the questions and my responses from the first chapter.

If you could sit down and have an imaginary conversation with your craving, what do you think it might say to you?
"You know you want me."  

What questions would you want to ask it?
"Are you really what's best for me?"

How do you imagine it might respond?
"LOL.. you're joking, right?"  

(Apparently my craving is a smart-aleck!)


How do you respond to the idea that God made us to crave?
If we didn't have any cravings or desires in our lives, what would cause us to pursue anything?  I think we'd all live ordinary, complacent lives.  God made us to crave where we would dream bigger - not so our bums would grow bigger.

Have you ever pursued a craving --a longing, passion, or desire -- that made a positive contribution to your life?
Our desire to work with dogs led to being able to work with people with our dogs.  It's become a beautiful ministry out of something that seems very foolish to many.

What do you think distinguishes that kind of craving from the craving that leads you to eat in unhealthy ways?
God's purpose being fulfilled.  

If it's true that we are made to crave, how might it change the way you understand your cravings?
Not all cravings are negative.  I need to be more in tune with what does and does not bring glory to God.

Do you believe there could be any benefits to listening to your cravings rather than trying to silence them?  If so, what might those benefits be?
Yes.  If we understood where our cravings come from and the purpose they serve, maybe we would make better choices regarding our cravings. 

The Bible describes three ways Satan tries to lure us away from loving God: cravings, lust of the eyes, and boasting (1 John 2:15-16).  Lysa explains how Satan used these tactics with both Eve and Jesus.  Using the list below, think back over the last twenty-four hours or the last few days to see if you recognize how you may have been tempered in similar ways.

Cravings:  meeting physical desires outside the will of God.  In what ways were you tempted by desires for things such as food, alcohol, drugs, or sex?
I have noticed that using Facebook and the internet in general to fill time have become unhealthy cravings in my life.

Lust of the eyes:  meetings material desires outside the will of God.  In what ways were you tempted by desires for material things--clothing, financial portfolio, appliances, vacation plans, cosmetics, home decor, electronics, etc.?
This doesn't really apply to me.  The life-style we have chosen to allow me to stay home with our children doesn't provide for many, meaningless none necessities.  Material things have never been that important to me.  

Boasting:  meeting needs for significance outside the will of God.  In what ways were you tempted by desires to prop up your significance--perhaps by name dropping, exaggerating, feigning humility or other virtues, doing something just because you knew it would be observed by others, etc.?
This is an issue I deal more with.  Because I am constantly seeking other people's approval, there are times that I am not as humble as I should be.  



Of the three kinds of temptations, which is the most difficult for you to resist?
Facebook - I mean who doesn't want to be up to date on EVERYONE's current situation? 

Which is the easiest to resist?  Why?
Lust of the eyes.  I am content with what I have.

Jesus quotes the truth of Scripture to defeat temptation.  Have you ever used Scripture in this way?  Yes.  What was the result?  Victory.  How do you feel about the idea of using this approach to address your unhealthy eating patterns? Hopeful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …