Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm Not Who I Was

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.  Isaiah 43:18, 19

For as many years as I can remember I have wished and wanted to get back to my pre-momma size.  Before my parenting days, I could have been classified as "one hot momma", but now I'm just a momma and hot only comes in flashes.

I have recently begun a new journey towards a healthier me and not because it is a new year, but because it is time.  I am ready to look good but more than that I am ready to feel good.  Last night as I spent time in the Word I felt God whispering the words of Isaiah to my soul.  "Forget the past!  I am doing something new!  I am making a way where there seemed to be no way."  Those words danced in my mind with the idea of moving beyond what I looked like half my life ago to what and who I want to be in Christ Jesus in the years to come!

For a very long time I have blamed my weight gain on everything but myself.  Yes, I did have four children (each delivered via c-section).  Yes, I suffered post-partum depression after their births.  Yes, I have had as many miscarriages as healthy babies.  Yes, I have fought against the symptoms of fibromyalgia since my college days.  But it was the poor choices in response to each of those things that has brought me to where I am today.

And where am I?  I am a thirty-five year old woman living in a seventy year old body, and I'm obese.  (I hate that word, but it is what it is.. thankfully it won't be that for much longer!)

My family - Summer 2011


So what am I doing about it?

Well, at the first of the year I stopped drinking all soda.  I have always been a big time Diet Coke drinker - as in one in my hand at all times.  Two weeks ago I decided no more.  And I stopped drinking them.

This week I have started exercising.  Thanks to Wii fitness and my good buddy, Boondocks (my Golden Retriever who is serving as my personal trainer for this journey), I am on my third consecutive day.  This morning I rolled out of bed two and a half hours earlier than usual so that Boon and I could walk.  (In case you don't think walking a dog is a grueling work-out, I invite you to come meet Boon.  He's a 70+ pound eleven month old puppy with a mind of his own!)  


I have also begun to change my eating habits.  I am eliminating all white from my diet which is a biggie for me as white foods tend to be my favorites.  Using www.myfitnesspal.com I entered my current weight and height and shared how much weight I would like to lose.  It came back with a count of how many calories I should eat and how many calories I need to burn each day to meet my goal.  Furthermore, it allows me to enter each food I eat and each exercise I complete to give me a total of the calories eaten verses burned.

Baby Boondocks and me - Mother's Day 2011
I am drinking water like there is no tomorrow.  I have learned that I LOVE water if it's been filtered through a Brita pitcher.  Who knew?

These are all baby steps.  I know that it's not going to be an overnight change.  I know there will be days that I want a Diet Coke or chocolate, but I am committing to choosing the better so that I might become my best.

In all of this God is my guide and my deliverer.

My ultimate goal is MORE GOD and a lot less me.

My lips will shout for joy 
when I sing praise to you— 
I whom you have delivered. Psalm 71:23



I will be sharing my journey here.  You're welcome to come along.  And if you are at myfitnesspal.com, send me a friend request.  I'm agapegoldens.

5 comments:

  1. You know I love ya! So glad to be on this journey together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you go girl! just like lyndra said, "we're in this together!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work!

    Blessings,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, Girl! I am so proud of you. I want to make changes, too. I know you will succeed. You are an "over-comer"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you my friend!

    Hang in there...the hard days WILL be hard...you WILL want to give in but remember that picture of the new and better that lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!