Skip to main content

Boon's Sunday Sermon #10 - Coming into His Presence

I'm sure for the common observer it would be quite comedic to watch my daily activities around the house. I get up and am followed to the bathroom by my dogs, Ohno and Boondocks, and my cat, Serendipity. I head to the kitchen to fix breakfast only to look down and see my beloved pets at my feet. I go sit down in my chair, and lo and behold, Serendipity has jumped on the back of the chair, Ohno in my lap, and Boondocks beside me or at my feet. They want to be close to me. Each step I take, I can count on one or all of them to be nearby. Ohno can honestly be classified as a "momma's boy". He is my shadow, and when I am out of his sight, he grieves.

My pets know that I have their best interest at heart. They know that I love and adore them. They know that I will take care of them, provide for them, and protect them. Because they have received my love for them, they have a desire to be where I am.



We are told in Psalms that in our Father God's presence is "fullness of joy". We are promised that "he who dwells in His presence, shall rest in His shadow".

Do you know that right now wherever you are God has your best interest at heart. He loves and adores you? Do you know that He will take care of you, provide for you, and protect you? If you have received His love, shouldn't you desire to be where He is?

Too often we allow ourselves to be distracted by things of this world. Kids are calling. Jobs are demanding. Who's playing football?  Facebook pulls. American Idol pulls. In all of our busy-ness we too often forget to be quiet and sit to dwell in the presence of our Most High King. At the times when we need God most, we often push Him away for something meaningless. It leaves a void in our lives, and our spirits ache and grieve.

God gives us every opportunity to be near Him. He is overjoyed when we take the time to climb up in His lap and share our life with Him. And when we do, we are given that fullness of joy for which our hearts long.



Come near to God and he will come near to you.  James 4:8

Serendipity






Photobucket

Comments

  1. (Clap clap clap) AWESOME!!! I think that is an awesome ministry. God bless ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The homily at Mass today was all about knowing who your real God is, and trusting in Him. Beautiful post, as always.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mornings sound much like mine!
    ~Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. I am so glad I read it. Have a good evening there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Loved hearing that someone else has a pup(pups)that follow you everywhere. My Reggie, although old and very arthritic, follows me everyplace-I tell him to wait(he's deaf now-who am I kidding he never waited before)but he insists on being there even if it means he'll have to turn around immediately when I change directions. Such devotion and love-so incredible! I love your analogy with the Word as well.
    Hugs to you today. Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Y'all,

    My Human is never out of my sight either. She loves God's creations as much as I do. I catch her on our hikes and walks just enjoying quiet moments relishing the warm sun or appreciating the seasonal scenery changes. She tells me she likes the fellowship of church but prefers those quiet moments.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your days sound like ours! Thank you so much for sharing your sermons with us!!
    xoxo Chloe, LadyBug and the mama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woof! Woof! Golden Hello! I was away for a while but I'm back! Golden Thanks for sharing ... wonderful post. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    BTW: We send you an email. Golden woofs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …