Saturday, April 9, 2011

Adventures in Homeschool: Lessons in Anatomy 101

(The following blog is rated: MA for Mature.  Those lacking a sense of humor should turn back now!)

Having gained my first knowledge of the reproduction process on the elementary school playground at a very tender age, it was important to me that my children learn the truth about sex from my husband and me rather than their mis-informed peers.  I was excited to find the "God's Design for Sex" series to lead us through the education process.  I also was thankful that a friend was willing to loan us her copy of the series.

Upon obtaining the material, I read over it a time or two before sharing it with the kids.  I wanted to seem comfortable rather than embarrassed while discussing it with the kids.  I have to admit that I was rather surprised that the second book (recommended for ages 6-9) was so 'upfront' regarding anatomy.  It suggested using the scientific names for body parts.  I understood the point in doing this but felt challenged as such things had always been referred to as "privates" in our home. 

After a couple of weeks, I finally worked up the nerve to read the books to the kids.  I took my daughter aside and shared with her first.  Then my husband and I sat our then seven and nine year old sons down to read it with them.

After the initial disgust and horrified realization wore off of our oldest sons face, he asked with the pure innocence only a child can demonstrate, "So, if boy's have a penis, do girls have a venus?"

Once we regained our composure, we told our son that indeed they do.  Why else do they say Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!