Skip to main content

Stuck in a Rut

I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10b


It has been a while since I have blogged, and many of you have been wondering where I have been. The answer is: stuck in a rut.

I love my life. I have a wonderful husband, and four amazing children. I am blessed beyond all imagination and yet here I am, stuck in a rut.

Is it any wonder that I have become slightly discouraged as this year has raged on? Besides having been filled with endless doctor's visits due to an insane amount of accidents and injuries, and all of the unexpected things that pop up on a daily basis, my house seems to have taken on a life of its own and is working against me. My best efforts to become more organized and to teach my children some responsibility and discipline has ended in defeat and despair. Is it any wonder that there are days that I cry, "Calgon, take me away!"

It was not until I read my devotion this morning that I realized that I am indeed "stuck in a rut." But Praise God I don't have to stay here. And Praise God that I am already on my way out.


In the words of Patsy Clairmont:

"Life is full of stuck possibilities. In fact, when you think about it, we are kind of stuck here on planet Earth until further notice. If, as my hymnal puts it, "Till the Roll Is Called Up Yonder," it makes me think we better make the best out of stuck lest life turn into one big rut.


I hate ruts. Ruts are common, unimaginative, and oh, so boring. I know because I've spent time in them. Actually, I even took up emotional residence in a couple. To make them comfortable, I even decorated them. I adorned the walls with excuses: "I can't," "I tried," and "I don't wanna." Those are just a few of the plagues, I mean plaques, I hung in my ruts.


Have you ever observed excavators? First thing they do is send out surveyors to assess. This is where the Holy Spirit and several of your wise friends can assist. The Holy Spirit can reveal to you why you are stuck, and He can empower you to change. Your friends can help strengthen your resolve and pray for you in the process.


Now just imagine what might happen if we were to step out of our old routine and deliberately walk in His ways. Why we might even do a little break dancing on our way up and out of that hard place.


C'mon, sister rut-dwellers, boogie out of there. Risk life!


Jesus, you lead; I want to follow. Amen."


I am resolved to risk life and boogie my way on to life abundantly! Thank you, Jesus!!

Comments

  1. I love ruts! I feed off of routine. It's the things that throw me off my rut that make me crazy! LOL. But I am a little weird!!
    Glad to hear from you!!
    Hugs.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, Darling Daughter!! I am behind you all the way. I will do all I can to push you out of your rut... just don't mess with mine too much! LOL What can I do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rut, eh? I suppose I was in one myself...feeling uninsired to write or share...besides what did I have to share...when I thought I had something I'd come to the puter and start typing and NOTHING! But the other day God bore a wonderful lesson in my heart and turned into a blog for you all to read...

    Just as He did for you!

    Its amazing the prayers that are being answered all around me my friend! As I seek to grow closer and take that higher ground! I feel the strength that only God can give. I feel the peace, the rest, the joy and the contentment...just knowing its all in His hands.

    As for your house, the discipline with the kids, and all things coming into subjection...

    Do what we do --Make it a 'new day' at your house. List out expectations and then list the consequences and the most important thing --FOLLOW THROUGH!!! And I do indeed mean make a LIST --write it out --post it for everyone to see. Even Connor can be a help with chores...and once the rules are established and the discipline has been upheld life WILL be easier and your children will turn into even more helpful little people that LOVE to help their mommy or maybe not but they will KNOW that you mean business! Follow thru -- consistency --a parent's best friends!

    Now go see my blog...Its a bit jumbled and full of randomness, oh and rambling but I wrote it anyway! LOL!

    I lvoe you friend!

    This too shall pass and you are more than a conqueror in HIM!

    Get outta that rut and show 'em who's boss! :)

    **that was your friendly kick in the pants**

    LOL!

    Muwahh!

    K

    Oh and i speak from experience --i was at my wit's end! So I know where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all have those times when we say Calgon take me away !
    Praying for you dear friend and your precious little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that Calgon commercial! I've missed your posts. Good to see you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you back on here and praying for you as you find your way out of the rut! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …