Thursday, May 21, 2009

One of those days...

Today has been one of those days that will either make you lie down and cry or take a step back and smile through it all. While wanting to do the prior there have been thoughts of other folks that have pressed me on to do the latter.

A couple of incidents that have had me on the verge of tears are sure to tickle your funny bone as you envision the scenes in your mind.

The first would be the sight of a full gallon of milk poured into the kitchen floor with kids and dogs slipping and sliding through it. None of the children thought to tell their mother that such a thing had happened. It was only when I found the empty container that was purchased just hours ago that a confession was made.

Or maybe you'd prefer the dog washing incident. I suppose the children thought they were making a grand gesture when they decided not to wash only my dog but their three as well. I did not see all four dogs piled into the bath tub together, but I did see the obvious mess that was bound to follow. Wet towels, drenched floors and carpets, wet furniture, and a big ole pile of dirty clothes that had yet to find their way into the laundry room now await my arrival to give them a whirl through the washer.

I can handle messes. It's a constant around our home filled with four kids and five dogs. It's just the "unplanned" or "extra" messes that catch me off guard and fill my usual joyful heart with anything but...

But then I think of MaryBeth Chapman who today is mourning the one year anniversary of the death of her daughter Maria. I think of the family in the next town over whose four year old is fighting a battle with cancer. I think of a friend who lays in the hospital in critical condition after giving birth earlier this week.

I imagine each of them would love to be sitting where I am right now.... in an aging house that is never temperature controlled, sitting next to a mound of clothes waiting to be put away until next winter, getting ready to get up and go wash the next of at least ten more loads of laundry - all while surrounded by four of the most beautiful, wonderful gifts from God I could have ever imagined.

16 comments:

  1. As stessful as they are we are so blessed to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post. I smiled but also wanted to reach out a comforting hand to you and say "your feelings are so normal".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching post, I could only smile as I see that milk on the floor, but I know you were probably not smiling. Thanks for sharing !
    Our children are true gifts from God. Hugs and blessings to you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a blessing even when things are stressful and seem out of control, I have been learning to be happy and content because atleast they are healthy and alive. I praised the Lord the other day during a 30 minute cry session from Stunt Man. Boy was over tired, but I was just glad he could communicate his tiredness and anger. It's those little things.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE your sense of the bigger picture and how you seem to grasp it in such a way that helps me to grasp it as well!

    Now,

    ROFLOL about the milk on the floor! And the dog wash a thon! That is hilarious (of course its hilarious when it is YOUR house, not mine!LOL)

    Girl, I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those 4 blessings will ALWAYS remember the memory they made of these things. They will be sharing these "fun" times when they are older....memories that will keep them close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post...it sure reminded me to count my blessings..thanks
    Annmarie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen my friend! I often want to cry and pitch a fit over my own struggles. But then when I remember that others are going through so much worse, it puts it all in perspective. Thank you for that wonderful reminder!

    Take care my friend!
    I hope today is a much better day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Preach, sister! Amen, amen, and AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Samantha I am in the same boat as you. I have four kids and I know about those unexpected messes and then thanking God my kids are able to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THank you so much for sharing this. I have so felt this at times and just want to give up and go back to bed. Ugh! Praise God that He gives us the strength to go on and never gives us more than we can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there my friend! I hope you are doing well! Hope you guys are enjoying summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes. I remember the days of milk all over the floor and the carpet. O.J. all over the floor and the carpet and the dog.

    Glitter all over the counters and the floor. Then there was the day the three year old got into the flour when my sis was supposed to be over here watching him.

    But, we have much to be thankful for, that is for sure. It's all about perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there my friend! I have missed you! I hope you and your family are doing well and that things have slowed down for you. Take care & know that you are thougth about!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just stopping by to say hello. Thanks for keeping in touch with me via my blog. I miss your posts but know life gets busy. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!