Skip to main content

Pour My Love on You

I have woke up each morning this week singing this song. Have you heard it? It says,

"Like oil upon your feet
Like wine for you to drink
Life water from my heart
I pour my love on you
If praise is like the perfume
I lavish mine on you
Till every drop is gone
I pour my love on you."

My heart has changed these past few weeks. I am more aware of God's love for me than I have ever been at any other point in my life. For a person who has been a Christian most of their life (except for a couple of years of youth stupidity), I think the feeling I have is what most new Christian's feel when they are born again.

Not only have I become more aware of His love for me, but I am also overwhelmed with this new love I have for HIM. I want to sit at His feet and soak in His presence. I want to bathe in His love. I want to be like Mary and truly "pour my love" on my Lord, my Savior, my King.

I had not intended to write this blog today, but how appropriate is it for this Good Friday? What better evidence of Christ's love for us than the sacrifice He made on the cross? Romans 8:5 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Max Lucado says it much better than I ever could. Here are his thoughts:
The Cross
by Max Lucado



The cross. Can you turn any direction without seeing one? Perched atop a chapel. Carved into a graveyard headstone. Engraved in a ring or suspended on a chain. The cross is the universal symbol of Christianity. An odd choice, don't you think? Strange that a tool of torture would come to embody a movement of hope. The symbols of other faiths are more upbeat: the six-pointed star of David, the crescent moon of Islam, a lotus blossom for Buddhism. Yet a cross for Christianity? An instrument of execution?

Would you wear a tiny electric chair around your neck? Suspend a gold-plated hangman's noose on the wall? Would you print a picture of a firing squad on a business card? Yet we do so with the cross. Many even make the sign of the cross as they pray. Would we make the sign of, say, a guillotine? Instead of the triangular touch on the forehead and shoulders, how about a karate chop on the palm? Doesn't quite have the same feel, does it?

Why is the cross the symbol of our faith? To find the answer look no farther than the cross itself. Its design couldn't be simpler. One beam horizontal--the other vertical. One reaches out--like God's love. The other reaches up--as does God's holiness. One represents the width of his love; the other reflects the height of his holiness. The cross is the intersection. The cross is where God forgave his children without lowering his standards.

How could he do this? In a sentence: God put our sin on his Son and punished it there.

"God put on him the wrong who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God" (2 Cor. 5:21 MSG).


From
His Name is Jesus
© (Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2009) Max Lucado



Today I am thankful for the cross and the love God showed to each of us there. As we spend time with our families this weekend, may the reason for the weekend not be lost to Easter eggs and bunny rabbits. Christ died for you. There is no greater love!

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Aren't you glad He counted you as friend?

Comments

  1. Praise God for His infinite mercy and grace!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post..
    May we always be thankful...
    and remember....
    Have a Blessed Easter..
    Annmarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too sweet sister friend...me too! So thankful he carried my cross...full of sin and paid MY penalty so that **I**, could have fellowship with God (and eternal life in Heaven) Oh the thought is too much for my finite mind to grasp! What love He shows us daily! And in the most tangible ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, am realizing the depth of God's love after many, many years of walking with Him. Thank God for being able to fall in love with him all over again. Amazing! Happy Resurrection Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've heard this song, but I'd love to hear it!

    What a great post. May the real meaning of Easter be in our hearts.

    Bless you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post my friend. Yes, I am so glad that He laid down His life willingly for me, a sinner. I am blessed beyond measure!
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific post!
    I just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog during the Ultimate Blogging Party.
    Sorry it took me so long to head over to yours.
    Happy Resurrection Sunday to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …