Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Snakes in the Garden

For weeks now the kids and I have planned to plant a flower bed during Spring Break. It was our goal to take our somewhat bland front yard and transform it into a garden of peace, tranquility, and beauty. All of the preparations were made, and this morning we began digging up the ground in order to start the transformation.

For an hour or more I dug. I didn't get a as much accomplished as I'd hoped because there were several large roots running underneath the surface of the dirt. With a lot of effort and even more difficulty, I was able to break up many of the larger roots. Finally it was time for a break. As I sat on the steps to catch a breather, Dacey continued to pull up some of the broken ground and place it into a nearby wagon. I was only a few feet from where she was working, observing her tenacity when her scream broke my concentration.

"SNAKE!!" she bellowed. Within a second I was by her side. I grabbed the shovel from Dacey and "ran the snake through" or at least I thought I had. It struggled for several minutes before I again gave it a startling blow from the shovel. It was dead.

For those of you who know me, you know that I am scared of anything that flies, slithers, crawls, swims, or jumps. If it isn't warm blooded, keep it away from me! However, when my daughter was in trouble, the mommy in me acted before I had time to be afraid. That snake was threatening my child, and that is where I draw the line.

After we came in the house I began thinking of how this parallels in our own lives. God begins a beautiful work. He has to "churn some ground" in our hearts, but He knows the end result is worth it and for our good. But the devil doesn't like what he sees. So he slithers in trying to cause doubt to arise in the process. God steps in and says, "That's my kid, and that's where I draw the line!" And he crushes satan under His feet!

I'm so glad to be the prized daughter of my ABBA Father and knowing that He is my protector, my deliverer, and all the while He is still my DADDY!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing story, so glad everyone was ok. I couldn't agree with you more. So glad that God is always there to protect us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for killing it!! Your my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, great words, what a wonderful analogy. One that I won't soon forget. I am so glad that my Father comes in to rescue me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God that everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sam, I am literally in tears...so true...I am so thankful I serve the RISEN SAVIOR...The ONE TRUE GOD! And that He takes care of the snakes and the snake for me! He's in control! Its all about HIM!

    I just love how you take a simple story and bring a God centered life lesson out of it! What a precious gift that you have!

    I just love you! And I love what God does in you! Bless you my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and Dacey! Your mommy is so brave and so are you!!! You two make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I'm so glad that you took care of business! You're so right though...if one of our kids are threatened, there is nothing to hold us mommy's back from protecting them! I'm sure you are her hero now!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go you are the hero of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the analogy here. That's exactly what it feels like sometimes. We're going along and then suddenly there's a snake in our path, and we cry out to our ABBA Father and He is there!

    Loved your post. I will share my chocolate with you, dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very good blog, congratulations
    regard from Reus Catalonia
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen! What a wonderful reminder of God's protection! Thank you my friend! And I'm so glad your daughter is ok :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful word and great reminder. I love it when He gives us "illustrated" sermons... it's just that sometimes you wish He would use "other graphics" to get the message across.... "SNAKE!!!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!