Thursday, March 5, 2009

Picture Perfect

As water reflects a face,
so a man's heart reflects the man. Proverbs 27:19

A couple of weeks ago my family had pictures made for the first time in many years. Sure, we'd had some taken of the kids right after my two year old was born, but there were none that included Tommy and me since right after my second child was born eight years ago.

I spent so much time and energy getting ready for those pictures. After all.. everything had to be perfect. These pictures will be around after we are gone. They will be just one way in which we are remembered.

As I have thought about the preparation I put into our appearance for this particular photograph, I wondered to myself what kind of preparations would be made were one to take a picture of my heart. No, I'm not talking about an echo-cardiogram, but rather my thoughts, my actions, and my attitudes. Would the person they see on the inside be the person they thought they knew from the outside?

My grandmother always told me "pretty is as pretty does". I have tried to live by this thought and have passed it on to my children as well. The way we looked won't count for much once we are gone, but people will remember us for the way they felt in our presence. Were they uncomfortable? Did they have to walk on egg shells? Or were they able to let their hair down and be themselves? Did they walk away feeling loved and accepted? Or did they leave feeling confused and burdened?

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30


God, help me live my life from the inside out. May who I am in you shine through in every action, attitude, and thought I have. Help me to remember that it's what's on the inside that counts as I encounter people through my day. Help me to not judge based on appearance, but to be more like you and look upon a person's heart instead. In Jesus name, amen.

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

10 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. Your family is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures, I saw them on facebook;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey...when I leave you and your family's presence I feel blessed to have been there!

    You are beautiful on the inside and OUT!

    Truly...I'm not just saying that! You are a blessing to me and so many others...you pour yourself into those you meet, love and minister to...you have a servant's heart and are a testimony of the power of God and the things He can/will do if we let Him!

    I treasure our friendship and consider you one of my VERY BEST Friends...FOREVER! :) (I only have 4 BFF's) You are among some very precious people!

    On another note...this is something God has spoken to me lately...as I prepare for church...He has NUDGED me to work on the inside and not just my outside appearance...by praying and having quiet time...adjusting my attitude, my thoughts...everything...its a daily struggle and if we are to be successful it has to be walked by faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the picures cames out beautifully!! It's so hard to get everyone to look here or there..especially when you have so many kids in the picture..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. I have to totally agree with your post. Beautiful scriptures. From all your posts Samantha, you are beautiful from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Great minds think alike. My post yesterday used two of these very same verses. Clearly, God is speaking to both of us. Cool! Love the pictures of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are beautiful! Your kids are too cute.

    And thank you for such a wonderful word of encouragement. And I agree with the other ladies. You are beautiful from the inside out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. to have just met you... I can already see on my what a wonderful person you are! Especially being a great mother! Looking at your family pictures all I see is one big HAPPY FAMILY ~ A picture is worth a thousand words ~ Your children are lucky to have you as their mom... Your love shines through! You are an inspiration to so many (from all of your comments)..I cant wait to come to know you better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Samantha! I know sometimes I put on a facade as I don't want people to know what is going on inside.

    You have a beautiful family and GOd's light surely does flow from the inside out. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!