Skip to main content

Rest for the Weary


It has been almost six weeks since my husband's shoulder surgery. It has been a very long six weeks for our family. For the first three weeks following the procedure Tommy was in excruciating pain around the clock. He was unable to move or lift his arm at all. During the next three weeks the pain has lessened (or maybe he's grown use to it), but it still hurts. He has not regained his full range of motion yet. He still cannot lift his arm straight out or above his head. Tommy's a worker and has quickly grown tired of not being able to do the things he is use to doing. As much as he enjoys being home with his family, he actually misses being at work.

Physical therapy has been grueling. Each time I take him for his appointment, I feel as if though I am dropping him off at a torture chamber. While one therapist holds him down, another pulls his arm in all directions imaginable. Then for the next hour or two they stretch his arm in every position possible. (We've wondered if now that Guantanamo Bay is being closed, maybe they should just hire a team of physical therapists instead.)

On top of Tommy's three physical therapy appointments each week, we've also had Dacey's guitar lessons, Jaden's piano lessons, and speech classes. Combine that with homeschooling, housework, helping my mom here and there, keeping up with a very active two year old and his three older siblings, and I am one tired woman. Then this past week all four kiddos have gotten sick. Thirteen prescriptions between the four of them later, they are feeling better, but now I am sick.

As Alicia at Confessions of a Snowflake said last week when she was under the weather... "he maketh me to lie down." Jesus told us, "Come unto me and I will give you rest."

So I'm going to go get my "Believing God" book, a cup of theraflu, and cuddle up in bed while I have a good excuse to do so.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you are all so sick...glad the kiddos are better though!

    Prayers going up!!!

    I couldn't think of a better place for you to be...get that rest sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! Definitely get some rest and take care!

    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally grab some rest while you can. Praying for you to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my poor friend, I am so sorry you don't feel well. I do pray you get some rest. It sounds like you need it.

    Take care my friend. I pray this week is much better than last. Hang in there! {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. God love you, Samantha! You truly have a full plate these past few weeks. May you receive healing in your body, the body of your children and your husband very soon.

    Rest in Him!

    ((hugs))
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. Praying for quick and complete healing along with comfort and strength through this time!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..that is alot on your plate! Ouch on the PT!! I can imagine the excruciating pain your hubby feels!!

    HUGS to you my friend!!
    Praise the Lord that we can have rest in Jesus!!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for blogging by. Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit under the weather. We went thru that last week with the kids and now today Hubby and I are feeling the effects! I was sad that the Cards lost in the last few of the game, but they had a great run and there is always next season! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …