Skip to main content

A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart


Today is Thankful Thursday. I don't participate in this often, but think that it is important to pause and reflect often on how much we truly have to be thankful for. Years ago I was told by a doctor to keep a health journal to monitor my progress during a time when I was ill. After a few days of reading and writing what I felt, I felt worse than I had to begin with. I was focusing on the negative instead of the positive. At that point I made a decision to make list of three things daily I was thankful for or that had blessed me. When I shifted my attention on how much I had in my life, my attitude and health picked up too. It has been a long time since I sat and listed three blessings each day. After a while I didn't need to everyday. I could see what I had in my life and was constantly reminded of how blessed I really am. I've said before that if my life came with a soundtrack two songs that would be included would be How You Live by Point of Grace and Blessed by Martina McBride. (Both songs can be listened to by pressing the "play" button on the MP3 player on the side bar.)

So that was a bunch of rambling to bring you to where I am today.

Today I am thankful that:
1. God is not finished with me yet! He has plans not only for my future but also for my NOW! All the times I've given up on myself, He has not given up on me.
2. Over the past few weeks God has reminded me of how much He has brought me through. I have such a renewed sense of faith in Him and am exploding with excitement about it.
3. My husband has already been off work for a month since his surgery and is likely to be off another two months. I am so thankful that we have short term disability coming in that is more than enough to keep us afloat until he goes back to work. Not only that but our doctor's bill came in from his surgery. It was over $12,000 but after insurance paid, we only owe $50!!! Only God could have done that! Talk about taking a load off of our minds!
4. God is who He says He is!

I'm reminded of Madame Blueberry. She says, "A thankful heart is a happy heart." And I am so blessed...

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:7-9

Comments

  1. God is just amazing. I am so Thankful too that He is exactly who He says He is. That is awesome about your insurance and only owing $50 God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is faithful. I am a good 20 years ahead of you in the "marriage and life thing" and can guarantee you that God will remain faithful. He goes far above and beyond what we could ever begin to comprehend.

    Iam thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! God is good! It is amazing to see how He is working. Praise God for the insurance coverage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list...Thanks for stopping by today. I love when new visitors stop and say hello.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen my friend! I love that scripture. It is so true. I am glad God is providing for you guys during this time. I pray your husband does get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaahh....you love Veggie Tales, too! :)

    Wonderful post.

    Thanks so much for stopping by today and leaving such a nice comment. I am so glad you came by-
    it brought me here!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To testify how good our God is--it is a privilege. Thanks for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely thankful post! A thankful heart is a happy heart indeed! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesom scripture. May God continue to light your path. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. as always...you are right on target...you are such a blessing sister!

    WOW! $50!! That's amazing!!! PRAISE GOD!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …