Skip to main content

Put Your Big Girl Panties On and Deal With It!!

More often than not our life seems like a never ending roller coaster with ups and downs and curves and tunnels. Sometimes it crawls along, but most of the time it seems to pass with a break neck speed.

I've spent a lot of time the past few days thinking about the last year of my family's life.

It really started a couple of days before Christmas in 2007. That was when we got a letter from the IRS stating that we owed several thousand dollars in back taxes. The next week was followed by a trip to Kansas where our van ended up breaking down, and we had to replace the alternator outside a parts store in the snow. Another couple of weeks passed and the motor in my husband's truck locked up.

There were resolutions to each of those problems. We were able to prove we didn't owe the tax money.. praise God! My van is still chugging along. Tommy's truck has a new engine in it, and we plan to run it until the wheels fall off. But those few things aren't the whole of what has happened. There's more... lots more....

We had a "family crisis" last Spring that I will not discuss in further detail because I don't want to "expose" anyone for the world to see. It was a very trying situation that finally resulted in my husband and I throwing our hands up in defeat and admitting we'd had enough with this particular incident. We've been out a lot financially because of it, but thank God, we aren't having to deal with the specifics of it an on-going basis.

Our health insurance company's website reports that for 2008 we had forty-four claims submitted from our doctors. That means we spent more time at the doctor's office than at church this past year.

Then came Tommy's surgery. Our doctor guessed yesterday that Tommy will be off work another eight weeks or so. (I'm enjoying my time with him but really miss a steady pay check!)

Then today... someone has stolen our checking account information and used it to pay their bills online! We have yet to decide whether to press charges or not. We'll spend some time in prayer before making that decision.

If we spent our time focusing on the negative in our life, I don't know how we'd be able to catch our breath. I praise God for His grace and mercy which leads, guides, and sustains us daily through every trial and circumstance that we face. ** 2 Corinthians 12:9 says, - But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. ** To which I say "amen and amen!"

I have recently begun reading Beth Moore's book "Believing God." One statement from her book has stuck with me. It says, "We will never take our place as 'more than overcomers' with nothing to overcome." Romans 8:37 says, "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Praise God that He loves us enough that He has seen us through. He is faithful and just. He will do what He has promised He will do.

There was a time not too long ago that all of these situations would have overwhelmed me. I would have cried, thrown up my hands, and thrown in the towel. But more often these days I do as a dear friend once advised me and "put my big girl panties on and deal with it." I don't do that in my own strength though. I am able to do that because time and time again my God has come through for me. Time and time again He has shown up and shown me His great love, His power, His patience, and His mercy and grace. If not for the tests we have gone through, God would not have been able to prove Himself to me on so many different levels in so many different areas. I am reminded in Deuteronomy that God has a purpose even in the wilderness: Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. (Deuteronomy 8:2)

And I am encouraged by three Hebrew children. They were put into the fire and when they came out, the only things that had been burned off were the things that had them bound. They didn't even smell of smoke! "God, may that be my testimony too."

Comments

  1. AMEN!!!!! Sounds like you've had a fun filled year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha,

    I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Parenting Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

    If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. An encouraging post. So glad you have not decided to let stuff get you down...God is good! Love the scriptures too. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! We are learning in our womens bible study that in the midst of chaos, we can still have rest in Jesus!!

    The Lord has definitely sustained you through the year!!!

    HUGS,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to be FEATURED! Go you!

    Love how God works in us to bring us THROUGH (not around) the issues life throws at us...things do tend to get us down, discourage us and the good thing about that is GOD knows us inside and out...He created us and formed us and He KNOWS when things will get us down...and He sends just what we need to pick us back up (helping us to put our big girl panties on) You are right we cannot do it without HIM! He is our strength and our shield! All these things are doing what they were created to do...draw you and your family closer to Him, show your children that FAITH in God is real and He does move mountains when we walk in faith, leaning on HIM!! It also shows others who see us persevering and looking to Him for the next step that GOD is GOD and He is our Lord...salvation isn't just a fairy tale but it is REAL and it is offered to everyone...

    God is using you Sam through these difficult times...

    I was hesitant to write my latest blog b/c I am so ashamed (prideful really , right) but GOD showed me writing it out does two things --well more than that but anywho 1. it cements it in me...i have a reference to go back to...when i 'forget'
    2. it shows others He is working, He is alive and He lives to make us better --more like Him
    3. it also shows my faithful friends who pray that God is working and answering
    4. it is just another step (a practice if you will) in keeping me humble before others and Him

    admitting our mistakes for the world to see shows us and others how imperfect we are...but how Perfect God is in perfecting us!

    I am so thankful for the work God continues to do in you guys and how He speaks through you to me and so many others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been quite the year, but God is faithful and God will be God no matter what!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! God has really had His hand on your family this year.

    God is good! All the time!
    All the time! God is good! :D

    Lol, love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, you are one of the two winners for my giveaway. Take a stroll through my deigners and kits post, choose a designer and kit, then copy/paste the order fact sheet into an email, fill it out and send it to me either at this email address or vball.chic14@gmail.com. Attach any photos you would like to be used at that time.

    Please follow the instructions on the order fact sheet so we can get this ball rolling.

    I look forward to working with you to create your blogosphere paradise!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen my friend! I especially love the verse out of Deuteronomy today. I'm glad to know that our time in the wilderness has a purpose. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you through a comment on Alicia's blog. Loved this post. It is indeed a choice we make every day as to how we will react. Taking it to God is the only solution that works.

    Must say I also loved the picture! ha, how great is that.

    I am going to stay awhile and keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …