Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes


The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. 1 Samuel 10:6

After having been asked to be a featured blogger for the parenting community on Wellsphere.com, I have spent a lot of time considering the state of my own health. And to be bluntly honest, the choices I make daily concerning my health aren't that great. Our family eats out too often. I drink too many soft drinks and not enough water. And usually I stay so tired that I do not have the motivation to do as much exercising as I want or need.

I made the mistake of taking the Depo-Provera birth control shot after my first child was born. While I had not gained much during my pregnancy with her, after getting the shot I bled continually for a year and during that time I packed on the pounds. The eight years that followed found me pregnant, having just had a baby, or going through a miscarriage. As for the past two years since my last baby arrived, I have used the excuse that I'm too tired or too busy to work to get rid of this weight once and for all.

While I do have a close walk with God, it saddens me to admit that I do not spend the time in prayer and Bible study that I desire to spend. No matter what I am doing, I am constantly interrupted by my children. (I can't count how many times I have started writing this blog, been interrupted, stopped, and had to start over.) This seems to hold especially true when I try to stop and pray, read my Bible, or spend time in "in depth" study. My children are my life's greatest joy, and for this time of my life I know and accept that I have been called to be in a "Martha season." But sometimes I really long to be more like Mary.

And while I'm on the subject of talking about things in my life that aren't quite the way I want them to be, this gives me the perfect opportunity to moving on to the topic of my house. I clean and clean and clean. I wash loads of laundry and yet it never seems completed. As I work my way through the house to clean and de-clutter, one to four children follow behind me undoing all that I have done. It feels like I'm fighting a losing battle. I want a clean house that is readily available to comfortably welcome any guest who may wish to enter. More often than not though, if someone stops by unexpectedly, we'll chat on the front porch!


So why am I so negative today? Not usually like me, is it? The answer is: I am not being "negative". I am identifying areas in my life that need to change and realizing that NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES.

More than anything I want to live a life that is pleasing to Christ. I also want my family to be proud of me and to always feel comfortable in our home. The first thing that has to happen before anything on my list will be different is an inner, personal change in my own life, in my own choices, and in my own habits. I need to re-prioritize my time in a way that maximizes the opportunities I am given.

And here I am, sharing my imperfections with the world wide web in an attempt to have a wide audience to help hold me accountable to my goals.

Here are a few things I am trying to change over the next 40 days. After that time I pray these things will be established as habits in my life.

**I commit to spend thirty minutes of my day in quiet, uninterrupted, prayer and study time with God.


**I commit to drink at least eight glasses of water a day.


** I commit to making my home a haven. It will be clean before we leave to go somewhere and before we go to bed each night. My family will help.


** I commit to walking at least three times a week.


** I commit to drinking less soda and eating smaller portions.


** I commit to spend less time on the computer and more time being active.

And that's that. If you want to join me, I'd love it! If you would like to encourage me, I'd appreciate it. Or if you are one of the ones who promises to help hold me accountable, you can email me here .


As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man. Proverbs 27:19

7 comments:

  1. Great commitments. I should join you in those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Sister! I am right there at this time in my life making the same evaluations with nearly the exact same results.

    You can count on me. We have already started doing things differently...starting with healthier eating.

    I bought the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook...it is awesome and the food is delicious. My hubby has lost 17 pounds already in 3 1/2 weeks and I've lost 5 but I am less active than he is. I must stick to my commitment to getting to the gym 3x a week that I've already made and broke.

    As for the house, there is myself, hubby and 14 yr. old son. I finally got my way. We rotate household duties...1 wk. someone has kitchen detail (all), 1 has laundry (all...washing, drying, folding, hanging up and putting away) and 1 has floors (vacuuming, sweeping and mopping). I take our bathroom and Ty takes his. I dust every room except his bedroom...he is responsible for it. It has definitely lighted my load, stress and freed up some time in the evenings to relax.

    You can count on me...you need to start a blog for us to sign in each week or daily to post our sucess or failures and the rest of us can encourage them.

    Email me and let's talk about it...I will help you. jennleigh301@yahoo.com

    We must stick together to be spread all across the US.

    I am proud of you!!!

    ((hugs)) from Arkansas

    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE definitely are imperfect as only Jesus is perfect, but we can work towards obtaining.

    Wonderful commitments! I can definitely hold you accountable if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Samantha, were you reading my mind or what? I am there with you and there are only THREE of us in my house!

    I made some eating changes back in June and have lost 55.4 pounds (so far). My weight loss pics are under "Beth's Weight Loss Journey" in my "non-blog sites I visit" if you want to see them. I pray you will put down the soft drinks and fall in love with water! :o) That makes such a big difference.

    God bless you on all of your commitments!

    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for putting it out there! We all need to be real.

    I loved your statement that nothing changes if nothing changes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for adding my button. :o) I have yours too!

    Love,
    b

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray it goes well for you my friend! Sometimes it can be difficult to get started & then it can be difficult to keep going. But I pray differently for you. I pray you can keep it up. I pray it will not be a challenge for you. But that the Spirit of the Lord will give you all the strength you need.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!