Monday, January 12, 2009

Life's Seasons

Tomorrow will mark three weeks since my husband had arthroscopic shoulder surgery. It has been a very emotionally, physically, and mentally draining three weeks for both of us. Neither of us were prepared for or expected the pain he would experience almost continually after his surgery. Nor did either of us realize to what extent he would be physically limited following this procedure. My husband has always been a big help around the house, and it has taken him being incapacitated to show me just how much he did do around here.
Usually on mornings that my husband does not work, he makes breakfast and lunch for the kids and me. But every meal that has been prepared since his surgery has been by my hands. For the first time in eleven years, I've taken trash out. Tommy has enjoyed putting our two year old to bed nightly since this is something he missed while working nights after our first three were born. However, this is one more thing that for the moment he cannot do. He cannot make a pot of coffee. He cannot change a diaper. Yet he wants to be able to do these little things. He enjoys helping me and in doing so ministers to me greatly. But for now I think God has Tommy in a place of "being still and knowing that He is God." While I certainly do not mind picking up the slack, all of the added responsibilties I face have more than once left me feeling very overwhelmed. While God has Tommy in a place of rest for this season, He is also working on me. He has me in a place of learning, stretching, growing, and trusting Him in a whole new way.
Through this season:
He's reminded me to "come unto Him." -
Matthew 11:29,30 - Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
He's reminded me that "He cares for me." -
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
He has reminded me to "wait upon Him." -
Isaiah 40:31 (But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
He's reminded me that "He is my strength." -
Psalm 28:7 - The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
He's reminded me to be "anxious for nothing." -
Philippians 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

He's reminded me that "He will give me peace."
Philippians 4:7 - And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Most of all He has again reminded me to "be still and know that He is God."
Psalm 46:10 - Be still, and know that I am God!

6 comments:

  1. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Thank you for ministering me via your words. What an awesome way to begin my week.

    I am so blessed.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Post. I loved all the scriptures, & hoe God showed you all these truths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. times of growing are certainly hard but even more so very beneficial! So glad you are soaking in all God has for you during this season of your life! Prayers for you and your family as God sees you through!

    You are all an inspiration to so many!

    including me!

    Thank you for your faithfulness to God and each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these beautiful scriptures. What a wonderful reminder. I will be praying for you and your husband. What does the dr. say? Is this normal? Just curious.

    Take care my friend! I pray he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are excellent reminders...thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog via Jill's and I noticed your fall picture of the pond!! I am so curious where you took it! I think I took this same exact picture!! To funny!! Please let me know@ smitherrings@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!