Skip to main content

Christmas Like a Child


I've said it several times before, but I'll say it again... I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! I love everything about the season. I love the shopping, the planning, the parties, the carols, the lights and decorations. Ok, so I don't love the wrapping part that much, but everything else I love. I try to put as much thought and emphasis on how to make the entire month leading up to the big day as special as possible for my children. We enjoy baking cookies together and then delivering them to friends and neighbors while we sing carols along the way.

This year the month has been over shadowed by my husband's impending shoulder surgery. He is scheduled for the operation two days before Christmas and will be off work for six to eight weeks following. We've had to make plans to have bills paid in advance, how we will manage the kids while he's in surgery and after he's come home. The kids are a bit anxious as well as the thought of their dad going "under the knife" is overwhelming to their young minds. To make for an even more chaotic state of mind my six year old son, Isaac, has been again complaining of chest pains. Earlier this week during an office visit with our doctor a heart murmur was detected. That led to a day of EKG's, echocardiogram, and chest x-rays. There appears to be a leakage in a couple of his heart valves, but we've yet to learn all of the results. We'll have to do the echocardiogram again next week as the machine was not working properly during our appointment.

And if that weren't enough....

Last night right after midnight my ten year old daughter began knocking on my bedroom door somewhat frantically. We jumped out of bed only to be informed that her two year old brother had awaken her screaming followed by a fit of coughing that he couldn't get over. We grabbed him from his bed as he began vomiting from the force of his coughs. As he gasped for air, we quickly threw clothes on and ran for the hospital. My mom lives between here and there so we dropped the three big kids off on our way. I've never seen people in the ER move so fast. Within five minutes of our arrival, Connor was getting a breathing treatment and an IV line. He was given steroids to reduce the swelling in his throat and an epinephrine shot to return his breathing to normal. He was monitored for a couple of hours and then sent home as they feared admitting him to our very small hospital would only expose him to worse respiratory illnesses. We were given an antibiotic to give him over the next several days and orders that if he worsened to take him to the next town over where he could get more extensive treatment. We are suppose to return to our doctor Monday morning to make sure whatever has caused this has past. Monday is also my son, Jaden's eight birthday. He and Isaac have a dentist appointment that morning, and we have a surprise party planned for him that afternoon.

It would be less than completely honest to not admit that I'm feeling more than a little overwhelmed. But through it all, I am trusting God. He is building my faith in Him in each situation. Several of the blogs I've written lately have included the scripture from Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." That seems to be what He is stressing to me during this season of my life. I am also reminded "not to be anxious for anything but in everything with prayer and petition to submit my request to God. Then the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus!" Thank you, Father!!!

Christmas is less than two weeks away. We know these two weeks will be filled with doctor and hospital visits (which is likely to be accompanied with a little stress a long the way). But I am also assured these few weeks will be filled the comfort, joy, hope, and peace as we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior.

Today I'm slowing down. I'm enjoying being confined to my home with my family. We're going to sit by the Christmas tree, sip hot chocolate, watch Christmas movies, sing some carols, and read from The Christmas Carol. I'm going to enjoy my children's smiles and laughs and rest confident that God is faithful and is going to work all of these things for the good of my family.

For this THEN SINGS MY SOUL SATURDAY I want to share "Christmas Like a Child" by Third Day. Take a listen...


Comments

  1. Hi there!! I love your blog! It's so cute..and your kids are adorable!!

    I haven't had a chance to read the entire post, but I will later on when I have time. I noticed you were following my blog so I wanted to stop by and say hi!!

    Oh..and I'm following your blog now too!!!

    Great to meet new bloggy sistah's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! You know the old saying "when it rains, it pours"?. Well, it sounds like it is pouring at your house right now.

    I am praying that God will give you peace over the next two weeks. May He be with your husband and your children as well and comfort them.

    Hang in there my friend! And don't forget to vent here if you need to. I hope you had a restful day today and that it continues tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my sweet sister...

    indeed a lot to handle...but not too much to bear (without Him that is) He's there...in the midst of it all...growing, molding and shaping you and your family through these trials...

    What a comfort to know that the CREATOR of thies universe has it ALL under control and He knows the end from the beginning! What is over our heads is ALWAYS UNDER His feet!

    I love you sister,

    I am praying!

    Give your family my love...

    k

    P.S. I'll be there from the 1st - 4th...let me know if you can come play! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment on our blog. And thank you for following our photos and stories about our little girl. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …