Skip to main content

Memories in the Stains






I use to be a very particular person. Everything had to be a very specific way, organized, in order, and proper. The least little deviation from my plan made me uncomfortable, unsettled and ultimately unhappy. That was life before I became the mother of four kids.


One of the joys of having four, small children is the unexpected. One of the first things I learned early on is that the best laid plans do not usually go as one would always hope. I can remember planning birthday parties and CHRISTmas's when Dacey was very young and having such high hopes for perfection that I was almost always disappointed when something would go different than I'd wanted it. I remember the kids wanting to play outside but being in good clothes, so I couldn't just let go and let them be kids. They had to look nice for what might happen later. Ten years later I have finally gotten over myself. I have learned that it is the unexpected that most often makes for the happiest moments and best shared memories.


As I've mentioned before, earlier this year when we went to Disney World, Isaac made it a point to be kissed by each of the Disney Princesses. Jaden, on the other hand, had a much different idea of the kisses offered. "THEY HAVE COOTIES!" or "THAT'S GROSS!," he'd proclaim. So as it happened on our last full day at Disney World when Isaac was kissed by Belle, Jaden became totally grossed out. He was quick to wipe the lip prints from Isaac's face using his own shirt to accomplish his purpose. In doing so he left a great big stain on the shirt that he was wearing! We teased Jaden afterwards that he just wanted that kiss for himself.


Not too many years ago I'd have been upset that Jaden had ruined that shirt, but not so anymore. Now every time that Jaden wears that shirt, I smile. I'm reminded of our trip to Disney and all of the memories we made. And I'm reminded of Isaac's last laugh . Not only did he get more Princess kisses that Jaden was not allowed to wipe away, but now each time Jaden wears that old, blue t-shirt, he wears a kiss from Belle too.
So this week I am thankful that not only have I lightened up over the years, but I'm also thankful for the "memories in the stains". I was reminded of our happy stains earlier this week when Isaac ruined a pair of light colored jeans rolling down a hill. While I certainly do want my children to take care of the clothes, I also am really glad that I have chilled out enough that I can just enjoy them just being kids and that even in our mistakes something good can come from it. (The stains/mistakes created the memories.)


I have had other stains in my life. Stains that did not create such good memories. I'm talking about the sins that separated me from God. Of all the things in my life that I am thankful for, I am most thankful for Jesus washing my stains away.


Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18


Thank you, Father, for loving me enough to wash away all my sins. Thank you for maturing me as the years have gone by and helping me to be able to see the happy memories in the stains instead of the mistakes. Thank you for sending Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. Amen.




Comments

  1. Where would we be without the blood of Jesus? What a precious gift!?!

    It blesses me to see you let the kids "be kids". I know they are having a wonderful childhood because of it... and they will remember that their Momma was the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed! Praise GOD for the washing of regeneration!!

    My ugly sin stains come up every now and again and I am so thankful to be able to say THAT'S UNDER THE BLOOD...it has NO hold over me any longer! WOOT!! Thanks be to GOD!!

    What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the BLOOD of Jesus!!! What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of JESUS. Oh precious is the flow that MAKES me white as snow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! I, too, have learned to "relax" over the years and what used to be the controlling part of my life (perfectionism)has been taken back by me controlling my life, living life, relaxing and enjoying it. So many of the things that I thought were important back then...well, aren't that important anymore.

    Our babies grow up too fast and we need to enjoy them now. My oldest son is 22 and my baby is 14. I've struggled with the thought that my nest will be empty in 3.5 years.

    Enjoy every moment, stain, cut, bruise, kiss, hug and soak up every thing your precious babies do...because our Heavenly Father does the same thing with us...He loves us more than we love our own children. That is hard for me to even imagine.

    You have a beautiful family and I enjoyed your blog.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing to hear how you have let the kids be kids. It somestimes is so hard for me.

    Praise God for the washing of my stains through His blood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! Great post! I love the sweet memories of childhood.

    I am so thankful that my Heavenly Father forgives my stains!

    Have a great Friday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …