Skip to main content

The Joy in Giving


If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11

My heart was filled with such joy as I stuffed my shopping cart to overflowing late last week with CHRISTmas gifts for my children. I wanted to get most of my shopping done in one quick trip and I am proud to say, "I SUCCEEDED!"

I came home and went through the gifts. I was delighted by my selections for each of my children knowing how much they would appreciate the choices I'd made. I was so excited that it was hard to hide them away until CHRISTmas day, but I knew the effect would not be the same if I gave them their gifts earlier than intended.

It was in those few minutes of reflection that it hit me how the same is true of our Heavenly Father. He delights in blessing His children. He sits on His throne watching us thinking, "That's my girl!" He's a proud daddy and loves watching our faces light up to the many gifts He gives us. He wants only what is best for us, but sometimes we have to wait for the best appropriate time to receive His gifts. He can't give us everything at once or it won't have the same effect for which it was intended. He says, "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

Sometimes God's gifts for us are obvious: a new life to celebrate, a promotion, restored health. But most of the time His gifts are in the simple things we often take for granted: a smile from a stranger, fall leaves, laughter. James 1:17 says, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

This CHRISTmas season instead of getting caught up in the hustle and bustle of things may we all take time to reflect on the many gifts God has placed into each of our lives.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful picture that you painted in my mind! I know that my heart fills to overflowing with excitement and joy to buy, wrap and give my children their gifts and to see the excitement in their faces is priceless.

    Isaiah 55:9
    "For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think. (Message)

    I can't even begin to comprehend how my Heavenly Father feels about the many blessings He blesses me with each day.

    Thank you for a beautiful reminder this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a great analogy! Sometimes we don't think of the gifts as being intangible like laughter, but what a gift that is. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh indeed my friend! Indeed! Truly inspiring! I LOVE picking out just the right gift for my crew...I love seeing their excitement...I LOVE hearing their requests and then seeing them filled with wonder and joy over the request being fulfilled!

    And boy do I ever know that GOD LOVES to do that with us...He knows just what we need when we need it...just what to say and to send...

    And the part of that verse that sticks out to me --is NOT TO HARM US!!!

    Thank you for the sweet reminder...for the kick in the pants (gently) that I needed!

    I love you my friend! And this CHRISTmas I am thankful for the GIFT I have in you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new here, what a great blog :) ♥ Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! I must admit sometimes I grumble so much that I forget to be thankful for the gifts He has already given me. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …