Sunday, October 12, 2008

FIREPROOF





Tommy and I are very blessed to have a wonderful marriage. We love each other deeply. We have had our share of ups and downs and through everything have been bonded closer to one another. We have a happy home. We do not argue often.

When we do have arguments, they can be timed to coincide with my monthly visitor. That is not an excuse or an exemption from my actions, but when those crazy hormones hit, they send me into a whirl of emotions usually starting with not liking the male species and it goes downhill from there. During my "fits" my husband always remains patient and loving. Sometimes he'll sit and stroke my hair and sometimes he'll offer me something to eat or drink. And the few times in our marriage that I have taken my pillows and gone to the couch, he has taken his pillows and laid in the floor beside the couch. (That makes it so difficult to stay upset with him!) We've only once or twice in our almost eleven years of marriage had an argument that has lasted more than a couple of hours.

When I have been sick from pregnancies, miscarriages, or fibromyalgia, Tommy has always lovingly tended to the details of our home that I've had to neglect. He has cooked, done dishes, washed clothes, or whatever else needed attention.

While Tommy always has been a very good husband, after becoming a "new creation" through Christ, he has been even more so.

Don't get me wrong. We have our disagreements. I think he's too harsh with our children at times, and he thinks I'm too lax. I tend to be the one to take responsibility for getting things done that he'd rather forget about. And he gets upset with me over my low self esteem. There have been circumstances in our marriage that could have and should have torn us apart. It goes along with the saying, "that which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." Our marriage has become even stronger than we'd have ever imagined through the worst of what satan has thrown at us.

Some nights as my husband sleeps, I lay in bed watching him. I feel a swell of emotions. I feel protective of him. I want to keep him safe, healthy, and happy and free of so much of the drama we were forced to endure during our early years together. I want what is best for him. I want God's best for him.

Last week we were privileged to have a night off from children to have a date night. (Thanks, Mom!) We don't have much time alone and we really appreciate our time together when we do. We chose to go see the movie "Fireproof." While the issues in the movie didn't directly apply to our marriage, I left the theater with a renewed appreciation of my husband and the lengths he goes to to show his love for me. I want to do even more to demonstrate my love for him as well. This movie has the potential to change lives and marriages. It is well written and directed and the actors didn't do half bad either! It has the perfect mixture of comedy, action, drama, and romance. If you get the opportunity to see it, don't pass it up!

After the movie as we sat and ate, Tommy and I talked about our marriage and agreed that we are very blessed. I still get twitter-pated when he walks through a room and still feel elated even after all this time as he continues to greet me when coming home or answering the phone by saying "hello beautiful." He loves me as Christ loves the church, and I value him and have such a deep respect for him. He is the half that makes me whole and I fall more in love with him with each passing day.



(This picture was taken a few years and a few kids ago! 11-97)


For love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. Song of Songs 8:6b-7a.


4 comments:

  1. I love you more every day!!!! Thank you for loving me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a blessing your marriage is! It is wonderful to see how God has you together and the love you share. :D

    I think of my marriage and how my MIL never thought it would work with us being complete opposites. He is outgoing and into sports. I'm introverted and like to stay home reading a good book or cooking.

    God brought us together for a purpose. I pray that I can be the wife that He wants me to be.

    Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you KNOW how I feel...I won't say it...but GOD is definitely blessing...in you and THROUGH you both!

    Love,

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. God has blessed you with a special marriage. The tests and trials you have experienced together have bonded you closer instead of tearing you apart. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!