Skip to main content

"Are all those kids yours?"


It is not often that I leave my house without hearing at least once through the course of my day, "Are all those kids yours? You've got your hands full!" I do not think of having four children as a "large" family. It is perhaps larger than most, but not to the degree that we get questioned and stares regarding. About a month ago I saw the quote and adopted it as my own: "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart."

My days are often overwhelming. Right now as I am typing I am listening to my three oldest children, who are suppose to be eating lunch, running through the house at break neck speeds laughing hysterically. Someone is doomed to get hurt, but for the moment they are having fun. My two year old is sitting on the couch next to me. He is working towards imitating his mommy as he sits at the other laptop my daughter still has open to finish her schoolwork. A month ago he pried every key off of the keyboard on that computer when it was left open to tempt him for too long. I just called her to close it before he once again gives in to temptation.

Browsing through a furniture store last night proved to be a stressful situation as little hands wanted to touch all of the pretties sitting out that were just waiting to be broken. I think the sells people were praying that one of the children would topple over a lamp to add back money to their cash registers that they've lost in this current financial crisis our country has found itself in. I certainly did not plan for their income to come from me, at least not in that form, so we stopped our shopping trip early.

People are right. My hands are full. I stay tired. My house stays a wreck. I don't have time for the latest fashions and cutest hairstyle. Laundry is never ending. There are runny noses and dirty diapers. Kids fighting and the inevitable, "I can't find my shoes." Even in typing this simple blog, I've had to get up several times to corral kids.

Everyday is not perfect. As my level of frustration rises, so does my voice. But praise God that love truly does cover a multitude of sins. I'm quick to repent, and my family is even quicker to forgive.

What most people don't understand though is that as full as my hands may be, my joy is even greater. I have been blessed in so many ways by my children. They were each and everyone planned for and wanted and are answers to my prayers. God has used them to make me into who I am now and the person I will be in the future.

These children have brought me so much happiness. I love waking up each morning to Connor calling me from his baby bed, "MOM-MOM. MOM-MOM." As I walk into his room to get him out of his bed I am greeted with a huge, toothy grin. It is always a good start to my day. Isaac is so sweet and always trying to do something for me. Some days I look up and he's fixed me something to drink and is bringing it to me. Just his little way to tell me he loves me. Right now he is snuggled up next to me. That is where he can usually be found! I've said many times before that Jaden is our family comedian. This morning when I answered "no" to one of his requests, his response was to say, "Oh, pickles!" lol I'm not sure where he got that one from, but it cracked me up. He keeps a smile on my face. Then there is my Dacey. Thank God for one girl in the group! She and I have to stick together. She is my princess and I love our girl time together.

After being told by a friend of her families nightly tradition of saying "sweet rabbits" to one another at bedtime, we look forward to telling each other "sweet monkeys" every night. We love ending our prayer at supper by singing "A-men, a-men, a-men, a-men." We love finding "Hidden Mickey's" in our M&M's, Spaghetti-Oh's, and random shapes and patterns we see through the course of our days. We have fun singing silly songs like "On Top of Old Smokey" and "Going on a Bear Hunt" as we ride in the van. We look forward to each afternoon when Daddy walks in the door. We love dog-piling him as he wrestles us off and tickles us each endlessly. We look forward to piling on the couch , eating pizza, and watching movies. We love reading together, praying together, and doing Bible time together. I love when the kids stack their hand into a pile, then raise them in the air and cheer, "Go, Sivils!"
We enjoy each other. We enjoy our time together. We look for the best in each other. Our goal always remains to make sure everyone feels loved and included.

So yes, my hands are full! But my heart overflows with the many blessings God has put into my life! He has given me far beyond all I could have thought, dreamt, or imagined.

Comments

  1. Beautiful post about all the joys of being MOM! Mom to 4 or Mom to 14 or just 1...children are a BLESSING from the Lord!!! A joy I am pleased to say I HAVE! Yes frustration can build and as our mommy hormones rock and roll our children are learning that we love them...that we aren't perfect and that they too can forgive just as they can be forgiven. I am so thankful God chose to make me a mom...its one of the greatest joys in my life.

    I find we (**I**) focus too many times on the burden of parenting and not the joy of the life long joyFULL experience of it...

    Instead of living to get through today...its time to stop and smell the roses or dirty diapers whichever it may be! LOL!

    I LOVE the way you think...you always seem to bring things into perspective for me!

    Can't wait to hang out with you guys again!

    Love,

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, hey I'm a family of 4 but my Aunt has 7 and that is alot to take care of and meet their every day needs, my parents and I know a family of 13 kids though, all home-schooled.

    Blessings to you and your family,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your family is just right. I'm surprised that people think that you have a LOT of children. You are a great mom and you are teaching your children well! Keeping up with the house is a never ending thing regardless of how many children we have. The time we spend with them is precious and I know I need to focus more on that than getting things done sometimes.
    Thank you for sharing your heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read your blog! It always helps when the day has been long and hard. I know I am blessed in many ways, but it sure gets hard sometimes! You ALWAYS give me a pick up, Thanks for that. . . HSM3 is a great family movie, if you get a chance see it! Thanks again for being a friend that makes my day! Love you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet post; you're a great Mom and a precious person. Blessed to be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …