Skip to main content

Seized by Temptation

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13







My children have of late been running wild. One sign of respect shown by saying "sir" or "ma'am" has become almost non-existent. (Yes, call us old fashioned, but we still expect that from our children.) When told to go to bed, they argue. When asked to clean up their room, they put it off. And when asked to do their chores? They put up a fight!

So last night we had a family meeting. My husband and I explained to the kids the things we have noticed in their attitudes and actions that are displeasing to us and told them what we expected them to do to correct the issues. We also discussed the consequences that would be in place when they failed to meet our expectations.

We hugged, kissed, and said our goodnights. I reminded the kids that as they prayed before bed they should ask God to forgive them and show them how they could do better. Off to bed they went. About ten minutes passed and Jaden (7) was back up. "Momma," he began, "I think I know what has gotten into us." I was very interested to hear this one. I asked him to continue. "Momma, I think temptation has seized us." THUMP! That was so not the answer I'd expected. We read 1 Corinthians 10:13 together and discussed that we do not have to give in to temptation because GOD IS FAITHFUL and allows a way of escape!

After he was tucked back in I thought about Jaden's precious answer... truly from the mouth of babes! I wondered how often I am "seized by temptation." Regrettably the answer would be often. It's not usually the big things but the little things that get me. There's the temptation to hit the snooze button when I know I need to get up and get going in the mornings. There's the temptation to sit at the computer and blog when I have a sink full of dirty dishes waiting for me in the kitchen. There's the temptation to sit and relax after a long, grueling day instead of spending a few more minutes with my kids before their bedtime. The list goes on and on.

Tonight as I go to bed I'm going to ask God for forgiveness too and to show me how to do better. And tomorrow I hope I can say as Jaden did today. When asked by his Aunt Sidney what had happened when he prayed, he replied, "God got all that stuff out of me!"

God, get all that stuff out of me too. In Jesus name, amen!


Comments

  1. Amen, Amen, Amen! I with you, girl...Been there and had one of those days, but isn't God good for teaching us lessons out of those situations! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should all pray that God would "get all that stuff out of us".

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wise for a seven year old to realize that he has been "seized by temptation". I often don't realize that as a 54 year old. He obviously has been brought up in the "fear and the admonition of the Lord". He and his siblings make me a very proud Nana... and provide you with a vast aray of blogging material! agreat blog, Sweetie. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this one. I can totally relate...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this, Samantha! We actually were at chapel at the church school today and the preacher was speaking on how we are not a product of our environment and heredity. We have choices to do right or wrong. We can make our children do something, but that doesn't mean they have chosen to actually do it in their heart unfortunately. He referenced I Kings with Elijah and the prophets of Baal how they should choose who they want to serve. He also referenced Joshua 24:14-15. "...But as for me and my house we will serve the LORD"

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I'm with Mary! What a wise young man! What a blessing...what truth! A truth I have been realizing lately...like you said the little things grab me...thank you for this blog...I LOVE reading what you write...its always so filled with the love of God and a love for GOD!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Things to Know Before Owning a Golden Retriever:

Our oldest Golden Retriever will be six on April 1st. We got Scarlet when she was just six weeks old and quickly fell in love with her. Within another six weeks, we had our second Golden, Rhett. (Rhett passed away two years ago.) It has been five (almost six) years since we have had adolescent Golden Retrievers in our home. While I have often joked about the “first terrible two years” of a Golden Retriever’s life, I had truly forgotten just how trying a Golden puppy can be - that is until now. Cosmo will be one year old in a matter of weeks, and Rose Bud is six months old. Now all of the reasons we’d joked for so long over how hard it was to survive their puppy hood have come back to me. We’re learning again - the hard way.

With that in mind, I would like to share some tips on owning a Golden. Retriever.

Here are a few things you need to know:

1. You do not own a Golden Retriever. The more accurate description is that they own YOU.
2. Golden Retrievers will chew. If you do not provide the…

MOM

So it's been about 15 months since I blogged here.  Most days instead of in depth thoughts, I prefer to post pictures at www.sivilsandgold.wordpress.com .  It doesn't require as much brain activity.  But I chose to share this here because it was entirely too long to fit in a Facebook post.  (I do have have four kids after all.)

This was a lot of fun.  I interviewed each of my four kids separately so each answer was original and not "borrowed".  I gained some insight into my kids and learned a few things I need to work on.  And for some reason they all agree I'm obsessed with my dog.  What's up with that.

Here goes..  (Connor is 8, Isaac 12, Jaden 14, and Dacey is 16.)

MOM 1. What is something mom always says to you? Connor  – “You love me.” Isaac  – “God made you special and He and I love you very much.  Precious monkeys and all that jazz.” Jaden  – “If you keep doing that, you’re face will stick like that.” Dacey  – “Be who you are and say what you mean.  T…

Boon's Sunday Sermon #6 - Little Black Dog

Today we'd like to share a writing with you by one of our favorite authors: Elisabeth Elliot.  This piece is beautifully written and describes her thoughts on a dog's 'mortality'.  We hope it touches your heart as it has ours. 




Little Black Dog by Elisabeth Elliot
It is a late October morning of glorious sunshine in New Hampshire and I sit in an antique rocking chair by the window of an old house which was once a barn. The gray rocks on Mount Lafayette's broad summit are dusted with snow, and the sky is as blue as a sky can be. All that is still green today is the evergreens. Between them are the black line drawings of the thin leafless maples, wild cherries, aspens and birches. The feathery tamaracks are dark gold. Little yellow apples hang on one of the gnarled old trees of the orchard. I keep hoping a deer will come for them.

My friend Miriam and I drove up yesterday from Boston for a few days of quiet at my brother's place. Both of us brought a load of desk …