Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Homeschool Agenda



THEME


This week’s theme is about sharing your 2008-09 homeschool agendas and plans. You’ve been preparing your plans for sometime and you’re ready to go. Or you’re still in the planning-stage and need some inspiration or tips on what to use. Because many use different curriculum and methods there is always something new to be gleaned from other homeschoolers. It’s always fun and interesting to see what other’s are using and the WWWWH as Robin Sampson suggests. So this week I hope you will share what you’re doing this year for your homeschool agenda. Share the different curriculum you’re using. You can also include what age/grade you’re using it for, how long you’ve been using it, and why you like it. Please share a Bible verse that has encouraged you or inspired you during this planning-process, and how.

Our school day is always started with our most important curriculum: The Holy Bible. I prefer the NIV and usually read to the kids or have them read aloud from the NIrV (New International Reader's Version).

Now that Jaden and Isaac are in Kindergarten and 2nd grade, I use mostly Christian Liberty Press materials with them. They do their writing, phonics, math, and spelling all with CLP. It is very throrough, also repetitive, and is inexpensive. We are also using "History for Little Pilgrims" from Christian Liberty Press, and we enjoy the Explode the Code series. Rather than Jaden and Isaac doing Science and Social Studies separately, we have combined those subjects for them to learn together.

This year Dacey is doing 5th grade Switched on Schoolhouse. She did SOS for 3rd grade and Lifepacs for 4th grade. We opted to "switch" back to SOS this year knowing that my time would be even more difficult to divide between her and her brothers now that Isaac is also doing school and Connor is such a little wild man. I really like that it teaches her and grades her while keeping me informed of her progress. Of course, I'm available to help as she needs it. I once was told that the most important thing to teach our children was how to learn independently. Switched on Schoolhouse definitely helps accomplish that end.

As a family we enjoy using Galloping the Globe for unit studies in history and social studies and Usborne Science encyclopdia for science unit studies. Some of our best learning experiences come from these times as we study things we are interested in and then read books and do projects based on each study. This is in addition to what I've already listed above.



I have an interest in lapbooking as a result of reading many of your blogs on this theme. Maybe I could incorporate that into our GTG or our Science unit studies. It sounds like a great and creative way to learn!! I am getting excited just thinking of the possibilities!!

This year the promise that God has given to me in our homeschooling endeavor is Galatians 6:9. It says, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." There are many days in this on this journey that I feel like throwing up my hands in defeat. God always reminds me that I am doing what I am doing for a purpose.. to grow and mold children after His heart. While I certainly want my children to have the best education possible, it is so much more important that they love God with all their hearts and seek to follow His will in all that they might do. If that is accomplished, everything else will pale in comparison.

This was our very first day to homeschool:
December 15, 2003















1st Day of School 5 years later


August 11, 2008











6 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to my blog :). I am glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed reading yours too. Last year we used the Life Pacs for my older son. For me they didn't have enough meat in them if that makes since. Is the SOS better? I've heard some good tings about it and was just wondering if it's better than the Life Pacs were for us. Thanks :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great year! :)

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homeschooling is such a blessing, even the days when we want to pull our hair out! Or should I say their hairs ~ LOL!

    Have a blessed year!

    http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Samantha! :D Thank you for sharing your agenda! You definitely have quite a bit of wonderful books and curriculum you are using. :D I'm trying to glean all I can from veteran homeschoolers. Have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures! so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great to look back on our first days? I had desks set up, too, and expected my poor little 4 year old son to sit still as I went through his abc's and the sounds they made.

    Sounds like you have a great plan for this year! Thank you for reminding me of that verse - I'll think of it often this year, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!