Sunday, July 6, 2008

Those Things Concerning You

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. Psalm 91:11

As a mother of four young children, we have come to be on a first name basis with most of the doctors, nurses and other staff at our local emergency room. I remember when Dacey was about 20 months old and fell landing on a solid wood table bruising her nose. When Isaac was a toddler he was running into a bedroom as another child was coming out. The door knob landed in his eye socket creating an array of blues and purples for days. Last fall we ended up at the emergency room with Jaden after he jumped off of the top of a tunnel slide at the park. And Connor had his third visit this year to the emergency room last night after he went over a play gate, down six concrete steps, and landed at the bottom on his head.

My mother has often joked about how protective I was with my first two children. Until they were each several months old each visitor was instructed to wash their hands before handling my precious offspring. However, with the last two kids, the dogs were licking them in the face as we walked in the door from the hospital. With each child I learned that they weren't quite as fragile as I'd before thought. With each child I gained more confidence and discernment. At this stage in the game it takes a lot to ruffle my feathers. Last night my feathers were ruffled indeed!

We arrived at the emergency room as a shift change was taking place. It took several minutes before an admissions clerk signed us in and several more minutes after that before the triage nurse came to take Connor's vitals. However, after she saw him things moved a lot more quickly.

Orders were immeditatly given for x-rays as they suspected he might have fractured his skull. My concern was that he might have a concussion. The doctor came in as Connor was being put on the x-ray table. After his initial exam he quickly determined that there was no need to fear a concussion as Connor was very active and seemed extremely coordinated. The x-rays showed that he did not have any fractures, and we were released to return home after being advised that the bruising and swelling may appear worse in the days to come.

Last night I pulled Connor's baby bed as close to my bed as possible, and I watched him sleep for hours. I paid close attention to his breathing and often placed my hand over him to feel him inhale and exhale. I laid there thankful that God had protected my child.

As parents we can't always keep our children from getting sick or hurt. We can't always prevent them from making a mistake that might bring harm to them. But as parents we can constantly bring our children before God in prayer knowing that HE is well able to take care of what we have given to Him. I am so thankful that He kept guard over Connor last night and his injuries were not more serious than they could have been.









1 comment:

  1. Oh my! What a bump! Been there and done that! In this particular area (at least for me) girls are easier! Praise the LORD it wasn't worse! Isn't it the greatest feeling in the world that GOD is in control and we CAN trust Him for ALL our needs and with the most precious 'possessions' we have...after all He created them...He knows them inside and out! Makes me want to SHOUT!!! I think I will! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you were here!